[LUG] installing synaptic with apt on suse 10.1

Apologies if this arrives in html but I'm using a web client from work.

I installed suse a couple of days ago and have installed the rpm package
for apt which appeared to go ok.

It automatically updated apt sources list but when I try to install
synaptic for a front end it fetches the file then won't actually install
the package.

I had some gpg error messages referring to missing or invalid key
signatures but am unsure as to what these mean or what I should set up .
Using kpackage after it was downloaded shows it is there but if I try to
install it from there it tells me to install the apt packages. Bit
confusing as I downloaded it using apt.

Looking for kynaptic as an alternative gave a not found error.

Other programs seem to have installed ok, i.e. I updated xine using apt
from the command line and can now play encrypted dvd's and wma files with
amarok as it fetched some other packages  for windows codecs and also got
tuxracer installed.

Probable doing something really silly I know but if someone could point it
out to me would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ray