Re: [LUG] Help with Kubuntu for OAP

On Saturday 28 October 2006 15:21, john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "John Hansen" <john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> I would be grateful if someone might assist an OAP trying to get to grips
> with Kubuntu 6.06 LTS. I have installed this OS side by side with W98se. I
> can use the internet with Konqueror but I am not able to use Kmail which is
> installed but does not appear when I click Internet.

Kmail is found under the Kontact program in KDE.You will see that in the
taskbar along the bottom if your system is standard. It will start if you
open a Konsole and type kmail in there and press enter if you prefer.
If you want, you can add it to the menu later, I can explain how to do that if
you like. I think that is what you mean - it isn't found under the Internet
section of the menu nowadays for some strange reason.

> I would also like to
> install Firefox and Thunderbird as well as Moneydance which I gather will
> run Quicken files. Kubuntu is installed on a Dell Latitude 500CPx with 256
> mb RAM and has a WIFI PCMCIA card for connection to an ADSL router.
>
> Any advice would be most welcome.
>
> John W Hansen,Bude area.

TO install THunderbird and Firefox, you can either follow Robs advice and use
apt-get from the command line or, if it is easier for you, open Adept from
the System section of the menu and use the search box to find Firefox and
Thunderbird - then simply click and select to install them that way.

Mark