Re: [LUG] MMC Card Format

Simon Williams wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I recently bought a 1Gb Kingston MMC Plus card for my Nokia 9500. I am
> not aware of any cards 1Gb or less that don't work with the 9500, and
> someone reported that this exact card worked with theirs (as well as
> several companies listing them as specifically compatible).
> But my 9500 just doesn't want to detect it.
> Unfortunately I don't have another card to test- so I suppose that it's
> always possible that the MMC slot of my 9500 is broken in some way (I
> sure hope not). I know someone else with a 9500 and a working (128Mb)
> MMC card, but they are back in Tavistock and I'm not likely to go back
> until Christmas.
>
> The 9500 is a bit stupid, and if the card is formatted wrong (by another
> device or something), it will not even give you the option to format it.
> I can't get the filemanager or backup system or anything to detect it-
> they all say "card not ready".
>
> I've got a CF card which reads MMC/SD cards and a PCMCIA card which
> reads CF cards. So I put the MMC card into that setup and it works fine
> in Linux. I tried reformatting it and repartitioning it in serveral
> different ways, but the 9500 still says "card not ready" and has it's
> own format option greyed out.
>
> What is the standard format for MMC cards? I'm pretty sure it's just one
> big fat16 partition, but I could be wrong.
>
> Does anyone have any other ideas I could try?
>
> Thanks
> Simon

Hi Simon,

Rather than trying to give a specific filesystem to the card, do you
think that zeroing it (ie wiping out *all* information on it, including
any partition table it might have, etc, "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX
bs=1024", for example) might help?  That way, the card should be
completely clean of *any* information and hopefully your Nokia will let
you format it appropriately.

Just a thought.

Grant.