Re: [LUG] Distros??

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> There has been some discussion about which distro to recommend for
> people new to Linux. So far the main contender seems to be Ubuntu. So I
> have two questions.
>
> 1 Why not mention kubuntu as well, or are most people on the lug
> devotees of Gnome?
>
> 2 Does anyone know which is the most used distro among lug members? Or
> is that information not available?
>
> Just wondering
>
> Neil Winchurst

Well Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, it's all good.  I was quite impressed
with Kubuntu.  I'm not a great fan of KDE, I'm sorry but it ALWAYS seems
to cause a Seg Fault for me when I try to use it (Mandriva usually).
Kubuntu has been the only distro I have used that KDE seems to just work
in (as much as would consider running a Kubuntu box too).

I think the thing about *ubuntu is that they provide pre-pressed CDs
with decent packaging for free.  I'd be happy to burn off a couple of
CDs or DVDs but even with a CD printer the end result wouldn't match a
pre-pressed disc.

Is it possible to run some sort of poll on the DCGLUG web site for
members with the most popular distros listed and we can choose what we
use?  (okay, that opens another can of worms to decide which ones are
the popular ones).

Rob

Rob