Re: [LUG] Laptop for "Granny" (the great social experiment)

On 18/10/06, Tom Brough <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ok I have bitten the bullet and bought a laptop on behalf of my 92 year
old Mother (Peter's Granny).

She wants to do web browsing, WP and Desktop Publishing including
"publishing" music so something like Rosegarden with a suitable front
end for editing (but open to other packages).

Question is which distro ?

I believe that the best one all-round is Ubuntu as it has never patronised nor confused (in general) me, although I started using it a year ago and can now manipulate xorg.conf with ease.

and

Any other packages suggestions.

Hmm.
Gaim, F-Spot and the GIMP are always good ideas, as she can then communicate with you easily, manage photos (is she into that sort of thing?) and manipulate graphics for her DTP work (oh yes, use Scribus or OOo:Draw for that.)

For my money its down to Debian or Ubuntu, but if you know of a "Granny"
orientated distro I will consider it.

The advert on the right-hand side is telling me to use Libranet as it's debian-based and user-friendly, but I feel that Ubuntu will be better despite its supposed difficulties.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382