Re: [LUG] Ethernet??

David Brook wrote:

> I commented out the 'Forwarders'
> section of my DNS config file.  I'm still not really sure why this helped
> with some of the more esoteric failures, but it certainly did and
> subsequently everything has been fine.

DNS forwarders are mostly just a bad idea. I know when they should be
used, and have never needed to use one ;) Although I did once measure
the performance benefits of them with scientific precision.

I don't think the problem is that one.

I've actually seen something similar to Neil's problem a couple of times
before.

One the DHCP was run before a PCMCIA wireless card was brought up.
Although I'd hope modern distros would have this one sorted. This meant
that the DHCP settings weren't acquired until a while after the Linux
box finished booting.

The other was due to driver compatibility issues between wireless cards
on a network, where bugs meant one had to boot after the other.

However I don't think the problem is likely as difficult as the wireless
one. My guess is the DHCP settings aren't being picked up at the right
time, or aren't being stored (not overriding /etc/resolv.conf) or similar.

So Robin in on the right track, although I think the WinXP is a distraction.

Boot the GNU/Linux box, when it isn't working get the network settings
with "ifconfig" "netstat -nr" and "cat /etc/resolv.conf", and when it
starts working get the same (and check the syslog to see if there are
any DHCP messages, or other network related messages). I'm pretty sure
the answer will be in that lot.

More data - less speculation.