Re: [LUG] NAS Storage

>  - Can be hard to "upgrade" if required
alot of nas boxes have usb holes for a couple of extra drives

>  + Should have all the regular file access methods installed already
>  - Some can be geared towards a "Microsoft Windows" bias (ie has SMB but nothing
> else)
I've seen a few which don't even tell you what the interface is and
want you to use their software.
i've never seen one that provides nfs out of the box :(

The linksys nslu2 can be hacked to give you a mini linux box and you
can use other usb devices too eg webcam.
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2004/08/03/how_to_nslu2_hack_pt1/
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage

buffalo do one with an sdk but i think it's a bit pricey
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2004/10/26/review_kurobox/

there are some nice terrabyte boxes out there with raid 5 (buffalo and
lacie make them if i recall) but they cost about £600. Tempting, but
certainly not tempting £600!

i think generally you can build your own cheaper so it comes down to
the price of convenience and finding one with the features you want.

you might want to look at www.mini-itx.com if you want to roll your own nas box.

As for office use, it'll really depend on the number of people using
it. I suspect they can't handle many users at once, even if you do get
one with gigE