Re: [LUG] Free Linux based computer with broadband connection

Viv and Philip wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to this LUG so, I hope you don't mind me commenting on this ?
>
> The charges for broadband in France are lower than here. Therefore, most
> of this charge is really for hire of the PC (which a customer would have
> already part paid for out of the initial payment of 150 euros). I agree
> that it would be good for people new to Linux to begin with but, soon, I
> think they would want their own machine set up to suit their own
> requirements.
>
> I was a Neuf Telecom customer and they were a terrible ISP. I cancelled
> the service with them back in February and am still waiting for a refund
> as they overcharged me. They are great when you are a new customer but,
> will fight tooth and nail to avoid termination of the service, when you
> no longer require it. I can see things will be any better, now they have
> merged with Cegetel.
>
> I think this offer is a cheap way for the newly merged company to pull
> in new, inexperienced customers that will stay with them long term.
>
> Sorry - I am a bit cynical when it comes to Neuf.
> I'll get off my soapbox now.
>
> Viv

Ahh this wasn't mentioned.  Still the idea seems pretty good.  If
anything it would probably be a good opportunity for the ISP to up-sell
higher spec PCs from the likes of Dell or any other PC manufacturer.  If
the customers are used to Linux then in theory it would make sense to
replace the box with a PC again running Linux.  Saying that if it was
Dell they'd possibly try and up-sell Windows XP too.

Rob