Re: [LUG] kubuntu - overfloweth

Matthew Cremore wrote:
> On Tue Sep 19 10:57 , Stuart Dunstan <stuartdunstan34565@xxxxxxxxx>
> sent:
>
>> I'm now really interested in kubuntu, blender and python. Thanks
>> for you thoughts. I don't find the whitespace thing annoying at
>> all! :)
>>
>> // csd ps can someone tell me how to stop receiving mail from the
>> dclug list please, my inbox overfloweth.. :)

See the List FAQ http://www.dcglug.org.uk/linux_adm/list-faq.html and
the headers of every single list message. (Get your email client to
display them for you.)

> I've got to agree with the overflowing inbox.  It would be better if
> we could subscribe to categories of mailing lists, such as technical
> support, group activities, code help, sql, that sort of stuff.

Not sure, but I think mailman can do that. (Alex?) This month, the list
volume has been average compared to previous months, between 300 and 700
messages a month judging by previous archives.

It's not that high volume compared to other lists - the questions about
sub-lists are:
1. Will members STICK to the topic of the sub-list?
2. How often will cross-posting be needed?
3. How often will cross-posting happen anyway?
4. How many discussions will suffer from not being on the expected list
or not having a sufficiently wide group of correspondents?

Is ~10 messages a day really too much for members? What about sorting
email inboxes via the list headers - List-Id: is specifically for that
purpose. It allows you to direct list email to a dedicated folder.
There's no need for dcglug email to go to your general Inbox.

--

Neil Williams