Re: [LUG] Debian portage

Simon Waters wrote:
> Ben Goodger wrote:
>> This should be built in. Anyone looking for a hacking assignment?
>> apt-get build-install would be my favourite :)
>
> As Neil suggests, there is very little to be gained but more bugs.
>
> One has to use a consistent set of build tools (toolchain), or at least
> a compatible toolchain, which usually restricts the versions of GCC you
> can use and still build a working package. Not that GCC has many binary
> incompatible upgrades, but it does happen.

In the specific case of firefox, wouldn't such a toolchain also require
all extensions and possibly themes used by that firefox to be rebuilt in
the same toolchain - as most of these aren't Debian packages (or the
current Debian package is behind the mozilla.org version), that's going
to be a different toolchain?

Just curious.

> Unless stuff is CPU intensive, or do a lot of access to physical memory
> that can be optimised by prefetching and isn't, I expect benefits to be
> marginal. I suspect Firefox is normally limited by network latency, so
> using your ISPs cache is probably the biggest win. DNS is already over
> optimised to the point of giving incorrect results in both Firefox and
> IE, but again using a big local cache like and ISPs name server is still
> going to gain a little when visiting a new website. More bandwidth helps
> as well.

I never did understand the appeal of gentoo. The idea of spending ALL
that time rebuilding from source, yuk.

--

Neil Williams