Re: [LUG] apt-get the jouney continues

On 9/7/06, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> As many of you know, I have been having problems connecting to the internet.
> It has been an interesting journey to say the least. It seems there was a
> conflict with ipv6 which has now been taken care of. However, I am still
> experiencing difficulties connecting to apt-get. It says network is
> unreachable. I am connecting to the net through a router/modem and d-link
> switch. I don't think these are the problems because I have a Mac that
> connects without any problems.

Taking out and disabling the ipv6 modules fixed some of it then?  So I
assume now that your web browsers etc all work as does email.

Its a horrible hack having to disable ipv6 like this surely it
shouldn't cause this much breakage.

> I have two computers with the same problems. One now has a static IP address
> and the other connects through dhcp. Does apt-get use its own dns servers
> when connecting to the net please? How can I set dns servers please? What I
> would like to be able to do is to set the router address and also the dns
> addresses for my isp and tell apt-get to connect through that.

apt uses the same dns as the rest of the system. What ever is in
/etc/resolve.conf will be contacted for a DNS server. If host/nslookup
or dig can lookup the required server apt-get should be able to as
well.

You can have a proxy specified however and for command line things
this uses an enviornmental varaible you can see if it is set using
"set | grep PROXY" you will probably see nothing from this command as
its not set.

Just to check, you don't have somthing strange in /etc/hosts ? as in
mosts systems the hosts file is checked before dns lookup (debian
controls this in /etc/host.conf, i have also seen on other systems
appended to /etc/resolv.conf as order=hosts,bind).

Sometimes a lack of reverse dns lookup can cripple you as well. It
might be an idea to have an entry in the hosts file for "192.168.1.1
myrouter" etc. (Just for your router addess as that is fixed and
static, don't add your client machines here as you are using DHCP).

Regards

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk