Re: [LUG] Router problem - maybe not.

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 16:41:18 +0100
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Your DHCP lease is stale - the PC, for whatever reason, is trying to use
> the same DHCP settings AFTER a reboot that it used before. That may work
> if the reboot is quite quick but if you shutdown and then restart some
> time later, it is definitely the wrong thing to do.
>
> I suspect your DHCP configuration in Mandriva is wrong - it sounds like
> it's not looking for a new DHCP "lease" at boot.
>
> If this happens again when you next restart, please run:
> $ dmesg | grep dhcp
> before you do anything else and post any output once you are back online.

I did that, but got no output at all.

> >> Instead of rebooting the router, next time try these commands on the PC:
> >>
> >> # ifdown eth0
> >> # ifup eth0
>
> > OK, I will try that and see what happens.

Well, that didn't work.

I get the feeling that the network is logged on, but the computer
doesn't see it. There is an icon on the panel showing if I am logged on
or not and it shows logged on when I restart the computer for a new
session. Nevertheless, I can't use the internet. The only way is to
turn off the router and then turn it on again. When it has resettled
all is working fine.

I'll go on looking

Neil Winchurst