Re: [LUG] advice on website

Hi everyone,

I'm still somewhat new to linux (and only subscribed to this list in the
last week or so), but it's nice to see there's a community in Cornwall :)

Hope I don't cause any offence by sending my first message a bit off the
linux topic...

I agree with Paul Sutton that new pages should be carefully constructed in
XHTML in the hopes of ushering in an era of less bloated browsers, and it's
a shame to have a link to the w3c's validator when your page has errors ;)

>a) a good idea - it seems like it even.
>b) should this be limited to the home page or be available on every page
>of the site,  (not much extra work just copy / paste the code to each
>page),

For my part, I'd lean towards a links page (or maybe just the index), with
the space on other pages given over to your content.  If you do want links
on every page, it might be worth it to write a little javascript to insert
them so's that there's only one place to edit if the links change, the code
doesn't clutter your view in Kate, and you retain the small improvement in
bandwidth

>c) how do I spread things out a little,  I think adding <br> etc is
>ignored as the site is using css, and the whole lot is encased in css
>tags,  so I am guessing that I need to creatre css tags to insert
>paragraph breaks etc  and then use them.

I think part of the problem is that you may be, if you'll excuse me saying
so, misusing the html tags somewhat.

for instance:

---------------snip------------------

<h2>
About me:

Well finally got round to updating my website.

OK firstly apolgies for not updating the site for a long time.  I am
currently in Canada on a visa arranged through <a
href="http://www.bunac.com";>BUNAC</a>.  I am working on keeping this site up
to day it's just a slow process.
Anyway I am back to using Linux (yay),  and kate for web site editing.

</h2>

--------------snip-------------

would be better as
--------

<h2>About me:</h2>

------

you could then use

-------

p {
  margin: 2em;
}

------

to space things out a bit.

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_margin.asp

Hope this helps, and hello to any other (more or less militant) fellow
penguinistas who may still be reading :)

-Ralph