Re: [LUG] (Non-Linux Topic) Daisy chaining power-supplies?

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 11:47:09PM +0100, James Fidell wrote:
> Adrian Midgley wrote:
> > Paul Weaver wrote:
> >> Common in telecoms apps rooms, everything runs off ~50VDC, backed up by
> >> big batteries. Has a secondary advantage of being a "low voltage" device
> >> and not needing the same testing as a normal apps room.
> >>

> > Big high current DC supplies to several devices have their own
> > interesting behaviours though, involving induction and possible high
> > voltages when things are switched.
>
> And, according to a number of electrical engineers I know, they're a
> much higher risk if they decide your body is a convenient conductor.

But the chance of that happening is reduced. You can have upto 340V
potential with AC, or 680V if you have a PSU fault with acapacitor.
That's enough to break through your body fairly easilly. It's much
harder for a 50V potential to break through.

Obviously transfering the same power means that if your body does
conduct, you'll have a much higher current, but then 1A or 6A, it's
pretty irellevent.