Re: [LUG] UK Universities and Open Source

On 8/18/06, Simon Williams <systemparadox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I hope so. The article which started this thread got me thinking- I'm
> going to Bristol in Oct to do computer science- is the university going
> to stop me from releasing my code to the open source community? Chances
> are that anything I do for coursework or whatever will be something that
> the community would benefit from. Are they even legally allowed to stop
> me releasing it?

Providing you don't sign anything that waves your copyright or signs
the copyright over to the university then it is your code to do with
as you please.  The uni may also have some other policies that while
may not effect the copyright situation may make it a university
offence to distribute the code so you will be violating uni policy
which is very different to the law.

I know (first hand) that when you write a scientific paper to get it
published in a journal you have to sign the copyright over to the
publishers. Now because of that I can't even place MY papers on MY
website for download as some other **** holds the copyright.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk