[LUG] High system use, low load average

I had a problem with a machine running a 2.4.20 kernel a while ago, it
has 2GB of RAM, and a process that deliberatly grabs 1.8GB of this (it's
a video server cache, pulls video @ 5mbit from one of 8 servers using
jumbo frames, and serves it to upto 100 clients using normal ethernet
frames. It stores the video in a 126GB file, and stores the most recent
stuff in memory).

Trouble was, after a few days, the system started swapping, which lead
kscand to start gobbling up cpu cycles, and the whole thing ground to a
halt. Swap never seemed to be clearing, even though the total memory
used by processes was less than the physical memory. Even after stopping
almost every process on the box, swap just didn't clear.

After reading arround, I decided to put the newest 2.4 kernel on there,
so it now runs 2.4.32. Since then, there's no problems with kscand, and
although 76K of swap is used, it doesn't seem to be a major problem :)

However top, (and snmp), report an insanely high cpu use in the "system"
catagory -- 99% on CPU1, 90% on CPU2 (and 10% for top).

The "problem machine" is a vanilla 2.4.32 kernel, however the interupt
timer has been increased to 1024Hz when I compiled it (specific need for the
software).

I assume that means the kernel is using cycles like crazy. A near
identical system (only 1GB ram) on the original 2.4.20 kernel
(1024Hz interupt), has 3%/8% system load, and  kscand and kwapd are the
busy processes. It has a load average of 1.00-1.20 though (2CPU box).

The load average on the machine is 0.00/0.05/0.02, nothing to be scared
about.

Why does it have such an apparently high cpu use in system? It doesn't
seem to be causing any problems, but it'd be nice to know how to find
out why it's so high.