Re: [LUG] router or something else

Paul Sutton wrote:

> If I go a head,  what do I need is this called a router or a repeater,
> essentially the signal starts at the office and goes as far as a staff
> lounge cabin about 25 meters away,  if I can boost the signal then perhaps
> it will reach either the dinner hall or the cabins beyond,

How far?

First thing to check is antennas, do you have them, how big, and where
are they placed?

Commercial antennas can be very expensive, but you can pick up cheap
vertically polarised antennas (5dbi) that help a little from about 15
GBP. Although good placement of the original wireless device can be the
cheapest way to improve reception. I know a couple of people who found
putting their wireless routers in the attic resolved the issue of
getting reception around the house.

Similarly getting to adjacent building, a cheap antenna that take the
signal outside an external wall can boost the range hugely.

As regards repeaters, the better wireless routers can easily be daisy
chained together (i.e. one routes to the Internet, the other acts as a
wireless repeater), and in most cases this is a cheaper/easier solution
than rolling your own.