[LUG] Firefox versions

When I first started using my new computer with Mandriva2006 I had
Firefox version 1.0.6 installed. Later I upgraded to version 1.5.0.5
which I now use. I also have Opera version 8.5. I have kept both
versions of Firefox available, though I normally use the later one.

Why do I do that? Well, because I sometimes open up web sites that need
Flash or Javascript to be available. This is where I am puzzled. Both
the old version of Firefox and Opera can call up and use flash and/or
javascript as required. This tells me that those programs must be set
up properly on my computer.

However the newer version of Firefox can't find those programs it
seems. I get a message telling me that a plug-in is required and would
I like to download it? I have searched around to the best of my
ability, but I can't seem to find the answer to the problem. I just do
not understand it. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

TIA

Neil Winchurst