Re: [LUG] Vaguely OTT: Ebuyer Happy-Hour

M.Blackmore wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 12:42 +0100, Ben Goodger wrote:
>

>> I plan to get my new computer from them tomorrow, yay. I
>>

> 35% discount?? Hmmm. Methinks I need to see what they are offering then.
>
> What time does it start on the 19th (tomorrow)?
>
> I've been mooching about looking for a laptop - primarily to escape the
> study and being tied to a desk, so I can moodle about downstairs or in
> the garden whilst stopping the preschoolers murdering each other etc.
>
> Dell are offering me a good discount on a 6400 with upgraded graphics,
> disk and ram, probably not going to push them harder down their discount
> ladder methinks.
>
> But not totally convinced by reviews of 6400 - keyboard sogginess is
> mentioned in a couple, and I'm a v. fast 100wpm touchtypist so thats
> important issue, as is screen quality for not so good anymore eyesight
> (age is a terrible thing and some seem to last the course better than
> others, suspect I'm going to be one of the also rans...).

I have a Lattitude 6100 and they screen is pretty good but the native
resolution is something like 1400x1050.  I can't say I've found any
laptop though that you can really touch type on, although saying that I
can type nearly as fast on the laptop as I can on a normal keyboard now
I've got used to it.
> Given what ebuyer will have on offer, what would people plunk for a
> couple of laptops? Something a bit pokier with core duo for me (image
> editing etc.) and something more modest for her and the kids - lighter
> for real laptopping, decent performance for web browsing, email and net
> radio listening, document editing professionally for her.

I'm not convinced that eBuyer would offer a 35% discount on EVERYTHING.
More like *selected* items though.  IIRC thought the e-mail they were
sending out mentioned that they had laptops from about £349.

Rob