Re: [LUG] MSO, OOo and the executable metaphor

James Fidell wrote:
> Keith Abraham wrote:
>
>> Apple introduced the GUI (after Xerox) and others like Atari and
>> Commodore soon followed. Not wishing to M$ bash but M$ was probably
>> the last to adopt a GUI.
>
> I think they were all pretty much the same sort of time.  I remember the
> hype and fuss when Apple launched the Lisa, which I think was the first
> of their GUI systems.  That must have been 1984-ish.  X Windows was
> around at pretty much the same time and Sun were shipping X-based GUIs
> as part of SunOS very soon after.  I don't recall M$ introducing
> Windows, but I'm fairly sure it was mid-80s.  You might argue that
> Windows 3.0 was where it all started for most people and that definitely
> didn't launch until the 90s.

I dimly remember someone using Windows 1 or 2.

At work the great excitement came when we all got Windows 3.1. Three
things surprised me. Firstly the DOS users hated it (difficult and
slow). Secondly how easy it was get to the guts of the system and
screw it up. Thirdly (and perhaps naively) it didn't seem to be
capable of anything more than I could achieve on my Atari 520.

If you're as old as me then do you remember the so call 8bit portables?
eg the Osbourne and Kaypro. Tiny little screens and probably weighed
as much as today's desktops!

Incidentally I still have my Grundy Newbrain handheld (no battery pack
and minus the display) which I think pre-dates all the above. Great
little machine who's in-built text processor with embeddable BASIC
commands made it useful for creating input forms on-the-fly.

Keith