Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Microsoft shuts down Windows 98]

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 04:10:45PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> Henry Bremridge wrote:
> WinME but I don't think anyone wants that!! If M$ won't give you
> security updates for Win9x anymore (and they won't), there is zero
> reason to care whether your Win9x is "genuine". I've got the key for the
> CD I have, I can guarantee that this key isn't in use right now on any
> other system, so if you want it, let me know and I'll see if I can't dig
> it out in time for a DCGLUG meeting.

Please: I will take the greatest joy in scrubbing everything and creating a
clean disk.

> > Have called the bank: apparently they do not support Mac, only Windows OS.
>
> > There is no reason why Linux cannot be made to work but:
> > -   FF used to work to access the site, but recently it no longer does.
>
> Does FF on windows work?

I was told this morning it does not, but it does now. It also does again on
Linux

> > -   I also however need to authorise transctions and that requires a smart
> >     card, and that has only ever worked with IE
>
> GnuPG is increasingly able to work with smartcards.

Just started experimenting with GNUPG and smartcards (the ones on the
fsfe.org)

> > Nothing to say it will not work with Linux but far beyond my skill at the
> > moment
>
> The programming may not suit your skills but I'm sure you can submit
> some bug reports, Henry. Join the gnupg-users mailing list, give details
> about the smartcard hardware and ask - it can't hurt.
>
> You may not be able / best-suited to solving this problem but those who
> can solve it need information from you on what, precisely, is not working.
>
> Whether or not your bank supports GNU/Linux, GNU/Linux can support your
> bank, with your help.

I keep on forgetting the depth of the GNU/Linux knowledge base. Will post
on my return.

Many thanks to all

--
Henry