Re: [LUG] Thin Computing was Re: Example of how to re-use old PC's

Simon Waters wrote:
> Kevin Tunison wrote:
>
>> Older than that, minus the GUI bit.  I worked in a company that
>> utilized a UNIX server with WYSE (dumb) terminals.  These badboys were
>> Apple II E style, yet cost hundreds of pounds to replace the
>> old-school hardware.  It takes a lot of noise for people to realize
>> thin computing doesn't have to cost that much anymore.
>>

> Although it is worth bearing in mind that thin computing solutions are
> rarely a huge money saver on hardware (except where like Tom you deploy
> on old PCs as the thin client).
>
> Where I've seen such things deployed, it is rare the thin client is
> hugely cheaper than a thicker client. The saving is usually to be had in
> system administration effort, reliability etc. In that it is easy to
> upgrade the server side, install software, provide proper backup and
> replacement for every settings, and every byte of user data.
>
> For big organisations, where they get a better price on thin client
> hardware this is probably somewhat different, but unless they start
> shipping thin clients in huge volumes it is unlikely that small buyers
> will get huge discounts on the hardware.
>
> Also I think some of the Windows thin client solutions put people off.
> Microsoft Windows was never designed as a multiuser OS, and MS Windows
> thin client solutions generally result in administering N badly hacked
> virtual Windows boxes with mediocre performance, and limited advantages
> over running Windows locally. As such the big benefits (less system
> admin effort, easier upgrades) disappear very quickly.
>
> Where as Unix and Unix like OSes were designed as multiuser OSes, and so
> don't have to "hack" stuff to make it work in this environment. You also
> get a much bigger incremental benefit server side when running multiple
> copies of the same software, as the whole shared library architecture
> was designed and built for just this scenario.

Funny you should mention that.  At the last place I was working they had
about 10 Xeon servers in a Windows 2003 Cluster running terminal
services.  It seemed that if one server had a glitch and BSOD it would
slowly take the rest of the servers down.  They also needed regular
reboots for Windows updates.  IIRC the thin clients were being bought at
about £300 each plus monitor.

Rob