Re: [LUG] Telephone Answering and Bigpockets

> I have a couple of questions. First one being is it possible to set up Linux
> to receive incoming calls as an answerphone please and does anybody use voip
> - skype etc please? If so what success have you had?

I use asterisk which would be capable of this, although you may need a
FXO card for the PC if you want to connect the computer to a Plain Old
Telephone Service (POTS) line such as BT.  Also consider SER (SIP
express router).
Have a look at http://www.voip-info.org for further details.

This may be overkill for you though, depending on your budget and
requirements.

I would not recommend skype -- lack of compatibility with proper
hardware is one reason, the other is there are only binaries available
for linux x86 and no x86_64 or PPC binary at that.  Go with a SIP
provider if you want to use a more Open system, with more competition in
the market, and a lot more hardware available.  Asterisk doesn't support
Skype.

As far as SIP providers are concerned:

If you want decent reliable business VoIP provider, I would consider
Gradwell (http://www.gradwell.com), based in Bath and said to be very
reliable.

If you are using it as a home phone, I would probably use sipgate
(http://www.sipgate.co.uk/) -- although it does have it's problems at
times, there is no monthly sunscription and calls are cheap.

As far as phones are concerned, if you have the money, get a Snom
(http://www.snom.de) (the 360 is excellent but costs ~£200).  I can also
recommend the Ekiga softphone for linux which is free.

> Secondly, has anyone anything to do with this company:
> <http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/>
> and if so goog/bad or ugly? Their prices seem very good value.

I have never used bigpockets.co.uk but have you considered
http://www.SVP.co.uk -- they are based in Torquay, and have a good
reputation among my friends, prices are pretty good as well.

Regards,

Mark