Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Web perils advise switch to Macs]

Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 05/07/06, *Rob Beard* <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Ahh, if that Met office computer is in Exeter it won't be far from
>     where
>     I work.
>

> No idea. Presumably it's somewhere near the Met Office.
Well I work (or am based) at the Exeter Business Park just behind the
Met office.

>     From what I've seen of the news on the 9 o'clock news
>

> it's 10 o'clock...

Ahh shows how much I watch the news. :-)

>     , they look like
>     they have Dell Lattitude notebooks.
>

> Yes, they do.
>
>     I have one for work, unfortunately
>     it's got WIndows XP installed.
>

> They're allergic to anything non-Microsoft.

LOL, it will run Ubuntu and detect the wireless although I haven't had
the patience to get the wireless setup when I was running it from a Live CD.

>     Luckily we do have SOME open source
>     stuff where I work.  Our fax server is Debian based for instance.
>
>     I do wish the media would recognise the alternatives.  Okay its
>     easy for
>     them to say 'buy a Mac' but not everyone can afford a new shiney Mac,
>     even the Mac Mini is pricey.
>

> I'd question that... The Mac Mini is a great little machine for £400.
Yeah for £400, I can build a PC for less than that.

I would admit though, I'd like a Mac Mini (Intel version) plugged into
the telly.

Rob