Re: [LUG] Things which annoy me - scrollwheel, num lock, flash plugin, X

On 05/07/06, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Ben

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 12:31, Ben Goodger wrote:
> You don't get it, do you?
Actually I am not sure you get it. You asked for help and Kai offered his
advice. That advice is available whether you take it or not and like politics
all advice tends to be flavoured whether you like it or not. If you don't
want advice don't ask for it. Personally I think you owe Kai an apology. I
didn't like the tone of your email - it isn't necessary. Saying that I
understand you have opinions as well and I would certainly encourage you to
air them, just maybe with a bit of tact and respect for someone who has a lot
of knowledge and is happy to share the knowledge.

Kai's "advice":

"Proprietary software, though providing vital functionality, is inherently inferior to free software, whether or not said free software actually does anything with any degree of success. Just dump Flash, and persuade every single Flash animator to use SVG and _javascript_, regardless of the fact that these, comparatively, are utterly useless. Then the problem of Flash audio will be solved. Now, X... X is a piece of crap, and you will just need to live with it being so until someone comes up with something better. It should only take a few years. DO NOT attempt to suggest improvement, etc - that would be pointless. Lastly some advice: features diminish productivity, so make sure you use flux! And avoid that evil proprietary software!"

I got this "advice" perfectly well. I simply fail to see why anyone would want it, let alone give it. I don't think I owe an apology for being told that my personal choice is easily overridden by a need for purity and cleanliness on all Linux systems, and that I should just give up trying to use something that really should work. Perhaps Kai would like me to remove all software with scrollbars in it, given that Microsoft has used those? That certainly did not contain any knowledge; it was knee-jerk, FSF-fantasy-world-where-everything-can-be-Free&trade; response which totally ignores reality and my choices of how to use a computer. What right has anyone to tell me that I should not use Flash, or fglrx, or win32codecs?

I have now got the scroll wheel fixed, but it seems that the underlying problem was the wheel's tendency to report rapid scrolling as horizontal scrolling, so the fix is only for Firefox.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382