Re: [LUG] How to compile one program from the xorg tree?

On 7/5/06, Simon Williams <systemparadox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello again.
>
> This is probably one of those things which is really easy if you know
> how, but to me this is getting frustrating and overcomplicated.
>
> I have downloaded a CVS version of xorg (or at least a big part of it).
> It contains a small program called ephyr. How do I compile just that
> program?

It might not be possible to be stand alone as it might depend on other
libs that are part of xorg. but then it might be possible or the
dependencies might be minimal so may be only 1 or 2 libs are required.

The debian guys do this quite often to make their packages and for
example will split up kde into loads of indepenent pacakges like kmail
and kmail-libs etc. ok these depend on "core" stuff but you get the
point.

Is the program in a seperate sub directory? If it is then just
configure the build ./configure then go to that subfolder and do a
make in there.

Else you will have to read through the makefile and find out what gcc
command line is required to build. If it is just missing include files
you probably need a line like gcc xyz.c -I../theincludedir/

where -I is supose to be a capital letter I (eye)

might also need some libs to link against, i think off the top of my
head thats -l from gcc eg -lc -lm (for libc and maths lib etc).

It all depends on the dependencies!

Robin