[LUG] Mouse wheel does not work after replugging

Hello.
I have a thinkpad. The internal mouse is PS/2. I have an external USB
wheel mouse. Everything works fine, except that the wheel only works if
the mouse is present when X starts, and if I unplug and replug the mouse
it stops working.

I didn't have this problem with my old Slackware setup.

Here are the relevant parts of my xorg.conf file:

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Trackpoint"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
         Option      "EmulateWheel"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier      "USBMouse"
         Driver          "mouse"
         Option          "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
         Option          "Device" "/dev/input/mouse1"
         Option          "Zaxismapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
<snip>
         InputDevice    "Trackpoint" "CorePointer"
         InputDevice    "USBMouse" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Simon