Re: [LUG] Databases part 3

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, Mysql and PHP, yes?

Typically, yes. Perl is another candidate.

> Or the
> letter P could be for Perl or Python. I don't know Perl or PHP but I
> do know Python. Is that acceptable or should I make the effort to learn
> one of the others? And if so which one?

Certainly there are python web applications. I have no direct knowledge
of Python but if Python can generate HTML and query a MySQL table, then
it can perform the function of PHP in a LAMP type system. I'm fairly
sure it can.

PHP is very easy to learn - much easier than Perl - for this kind of
database driven web content site.

> And, since it appears that PHP is a scripting language, does it replace
> Javascript, or is that needed too?

PHP is a server-side scripting language. Javascript is client side. i.e.
PHP never leaves the server so it can safely access server resources
like databases and use server security to protect the raw data.
Javascript only runs in the web browser and is browser support is patchy
at best. Javascript is unable to communicate with applications outside
the browser (at least, that was the original intention, ActiveX tried to
change that with catastrophic consequences for security).

> And, unfortunately, I don't know
> Apache either.

You don't need to know Apache - simply upload your code to a server that
has Apache running. If you want to run it locally, you only need to know
how to create a local virtual host. That's just a simple tweak to
/etc/apache2/sites-available and then make a symbolic link to that from
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled and run apache2ctl restart.

Alternatively, just put your code in /var/www/ and view at http://localhost/

> Big sigh...... To have proper control takes a lot of
> hard work.

Maybe, but you only have to learn things once. It gets a lot easier for
the next site.

--

Neil Williams