Re: [LUG] Installing XChat 2.4.6 from source

Julian Hall wrote:

> Thanks for that.  Xandros being Debian based, I had assumed that the
> 'Xandros Networks' package manager was just a GUI for apt-get.
> However this seems not to be the case.  I entered the command you
> suggested and got:
>
> /home/julian# apt-get build-dep xchat
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
>
> This seems to suggest source.list is empty, therefore Xandros Networks
> must be using somethng else.

Not empty, incomplete.

You just need the source entries for Xandros, so it knows where their
source code is. You really don't want to put anyone elses entries in
there, leave mixing up distributions to people who think they know what
they are doing (like Ben).

They have to give the sources to you for GPLed code, so the entries will
be on the Xandros website somewhere I expect.

In Debian you just duplicate the "deb" lines in "/etc/apt/sources.list"
and replace "deb" with "deb-src". I assume it could be different, but it
would seem perverse to make it different. Indeed in a sane world apt
would assume one from the other until told otherwise, but we don't live
in a sane world.

i.e.

Before:

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sid main

After:

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sid main
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sid main

Could do worse than try that before wasting time searching for the answer.