Re: [LUG] OT: Cheap domain name

Simon Williams wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone knows anywhere I can get a cheap domain. I'd
> like a .org really. All I need is to specify the nameservers- I'll be
> using zoneedit for everything else.
>
> Current prices are 1.99 for .org.uk and 5.99 for .org (per year).
>
> Any advances on that?

Probably not, at least not from a firm making a profit.

There is a flat US $6 charge for all .org name to cover the costs to the
Public Interest Registry, okay that is only about £3.20 this month, so
that leaves them a couple of quid to register the name, run the web
servers, deal with enquiries, write the software etc. You can probably
just about do that if you are dealing with 10,000's of domain a year for
each top level domain, but even then it is debatable.

I may be biased, but my experience of the cheapest domain name vendors,
is their business models mean they scrape the money back somewhere (or
they would go bust). Usually by aggressively lying about the price, or
charging extra for services that make the domain useful to you, or for
transferring it away to someone who can make it useful.

Your time would be better spent finding a good supplier, rather than a
cheap one. Specially since the price is small against the price of
almost any use you make of the name (assuming you are paying for your
Internet connection).