Re: [LUG] Open source attitude?

On 6/13/06, John Horne <john.horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was asked a curious question at work a short while ago. It is possible
> that we will undertake a project in 2007/8 provided that we can get the
> funding (amongst other things). The project will require using
> open-source software. I was asked if it would be possible for me to talk
> to some individuals to see if they have "the right attitude towards OSS
> software in order to work on the project".
>
> We are very much an MS Windows site with some central services provided
> on Linux/Unix servers. Most of the IT staff are very conversant with
> Windows; some are familiar with Linux but mainly from a curiosity or
> 'does it work under Linux' point of view.
>
> What I can't figure out is what 'attitude' is it that OSS people are
> supposed to have? Do others see us, as users/installers/coders of OSS
> software, with a particular 'attitude'? Do I have this attitude; do you?
> Comments?
>
> (I should add that since we have no funding it is pointless looking for
> staff at this stage, so no 'talking' will take place. The project will
> require someone of experience, and as such would already have the 'right
> attitude' anyway.)
>

> John.

Hmmmm lets not mention the social stereotypes!

The "right" attitude is a bit ambiguious.  That may mean what the
other Kevin inferred on this thread (i.e. those who can think for
themselves and not *immediately* rely on vendor support to babystep
them along a solution/workaround, and being a good reader of TFM and
able to do their own -technical writer).  Or, to another person, it
could mean something a bit more capitalist, like along the lines of,
lets use OSS because the cost is low, then only supply
documentation/support etc. when people pay.  It's up to you to decide
what is the right attitude.  In my opinion, the attitude is what any
good techie has, and that is a constant yearn to hack/tinker with
things simply to get a deeper understanding of them and make those
things useful in new and helpful ways.  Well, it's lots of things
besides that too.

Perhaps it is easier to say that the attitude not to have is: it's my
J-O-B paycheck mentality.

Kevin