Re: [LUG] Promoting Linux & Software Freedom day

Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> A couple of us from the LUG (Tom Brough, Paul Sutton, myself and Tom
> Potts) have been looking into promoting Open Source software in Devon
> and trying to come up with ways of getting people to look at Open
> Source software.  So far things are going slowly, I guess because of
> our other commitments.
>
> I've been looking around the Ubuntu site and found a link to a site
> promoting the "Software Freedom Day". URL:
> http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/StartGuide
>
> It seems the Software Freedom day will be held on 16th September 2006.
> They have information about starting local teams.
>
> I thought with the delays with Vista, maybe we should start actively
> pushing Linux.  A good start I figured would be to order a load of
> Ubuntu CDs (I was thinking at least about 1,000) and then distributing
> them around newsagents, charity shops, computer shops and amongst
> friends, family and work colleagues.
>
> Anyway, I thought the Software Freedom Day would be a good target date
> to have some sort of event.  It gives us about 3 months to get
> something organised and promoted.
>
> Is anyone else interested in something like this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rob

Hi
Can't help much I'm afraid except for the following two titbit, it's
always useful to tell people where Open Office is used and who uses it:

1) Both my children go to school in Torbay (Churston Grammar) and
Churston teach Open Office to years 7, 8 and 9.
2) I'm doing a short OU course on astronomy. The OU supply a CD
containing Open Office,  amongst other things, as the course requires
the assessment to be submitted electronically. There is no requirement
to use Open Office, but it's supplied by the OU (as part of the course
fee) if you need it.

However... I wish I could join the ranks using Open Office. I am a
technical writer and must be able to send and receive documents in the
clients "program of choice" (- if only it was Framemaker).
Sadly, Open Office does not reliably open documents created in Word. For
example, a lot of Word fields seem not "translate" to Open Office and
just get entered as plain text.
I think this compatibility issue will be exacerbated in the next issue
of Office which I understand uses XML as its native Save format,
unfortunately the MS version; not the Open Source version as specified
in an ISO (International Standards Organisation) document.

Regards

Stuart Miller
Ablewisp Ltd.