Re: [LUG] File Servers

Richard Brown wrote:

>Hi Guys
>
>What minimum spec of computer should I have for a file server please. I want
>if possible to configure two hard drives within the computer to act as
>mirrors to each other.
>
>Thanks.

Well I dare say you could use an old P3 with a couple of IDE hard disks
and software RAID if you were on a tight budget.

I think really it's down to how much you want to spend.  You can't
ignore the low prices Dell are doing servers for at the moment.  IIRC,
their cheapest server is about £300.  I can't remember if that comes
with 2 hard drives or not, or what CPU (I believe it is either a P4
2.8GHz or Celeron D).

If money was no object I'd personally go for a dual core Athlon 64 or
Opteron with a couple of SATA300 hard disks on a RAID array.  My main
personal file erver at the moment consists of an Athlon 800 with 512MB
memory, a 40GB IDE hard disk and a 160GB IDE hard disk (soon to be
upgraded to 1 x 320GB IDE hard disk).  My fileserver runs Samba for
shares to Windows, Linux & my XBOX and Apache.  Oh, it also acts as a
Linux Terminal Server occasionally too.

My other server runs SME Server 7.0 RC2 and acts as a web server.  It is
running on an Athlon 700 with 256MB memory with an old slow 4GB hard
disk which works fine for mail/webmail.

Rob