Re: [LUG] cd label printing

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 9:23 am, Grant Sewell wrote:
> > Is anyone able to print cd labels properly,  I have found some kanotix
> > labels at
> >
> > But they seem to have the wrong centre part,  so I have just printed
> > them off on card, so they can be inserted into cd wallets.  Still look
> > nice though.  But if the cd was printed up properly it would look more
> > professional,
> >
> > If you can help that would be useful to the lug.
>
> To be honest, Paul, I have never liked those CD labels... (the idea of
> them).  I used them for a while many years ago and found that the labels
> themselves could peel off the CD very easily.  Indeed, with a few of the
> more-used CDs (audio CDs, at that time) the edge of the label started to
> peel up after simply playing it in a CD player.
>
> Sure they look good, but I have always trusted CD pens over labels.
>
> Grant.

We've visited this topic several times - check the archives - and if we want
professional looking CD's, we'll need to produce a lot to make it cost
effective and get them stamped from a master using normal CD production
techniques rather than hacks for CD-R's. There are companies that do
(comparatively) small runs but it generally requires the likes of a magazine
to be able to justify the numbers involved - particularly when the contents
of the CD could be changing so often.

CD's are cheap but printing on them is not. Some CD-W drives claim to write
labels but then someone has to fork out for the unit and the CDR's cost more.
Realistically, you'd need a couple of people with compatible drives and a
subsidy on the CDR's.

The alternative is USB sticks but those aren't give way items!

It's always been a good idea to have DCGLUG CD's to give away but we may be
better sticking with magazine cover discs, Ubuntu CD's and/or hand-written
labels on Kanotix / Knoppix CDR's.

I certainly rely on CD-R pens for all my CD writes. I gave up with adhesive
labels when I found that the extra thickness meant that the CD became
unreadable in some drives.

--

Neil Williams