Re: [LUG] webcam fixed

On Thursday 02 February 2006 9:19 am, Steve Marvell wrote:
> It was my hub. Stick it directly into the machine and it works fine.

I've had hub problems like that with Palms. The problem seems to be that the
hub is designed to work *like* Windows as well as with Windows. i.e. just
like windows networking never shuts up, the hub just reinitialises itself at
arbitrary intervals. Hotplug isn't expecting this and the hub suddenly
appears in dmesg as 'unknown device'. As the hub is unknown, everything
attached to it disappears too. The only solution is to unplug the cable
between the hub and the main machine for the usual 10 seconds. Plug it back
in and you get a proper disconnect/connect sequence showing up in dmesg and
correct identification of the hub and everything attached to it. Sometimes it
happens immediately after finishing a HotSync with the Palm, sometimes it
just happens "because it can".

Typically, the proprietary driver for these hubs fools the proprietary OS into
detecting a proper disconnect/connect pair when no disconnection has actually
happened. Completely pointless. IMHO, it's a nasty bug in the hub hardware -
probably related to some stupid assumptions about leases or resource
identifiers.

--

Neil Williams