Re: [LUG] then where do all the calculators go?

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 23:49 +0000, James Hallam (DarkCow) wrote:
> I wonder if I could turn that law into profit by offering to buy old
> equipment for 1p (if you're not allowed to give it away), or would I
> need a license to "dispose" of computer equipment?
> The profit would come in the form of PIIs and old Suns of course, but
> old computers are still good for many tasks.

If you were just selling the computers on then may be not.

If you were to 'dispose' of the computers then yes you would. It's to do
with the metals in the components - something call the WEEE law I think.
We (the Uni) have to show that we have disposed of them properly, i.e.
you give us a certificate stating that you have have received the goods
and will dispose of them. You have to show (as a business) that you have
the facilities to dispose of the metals without it affecting the
environment - that sort of thing. We were also required to break the
disks - literally hitting them with a lump hammer :-) I wasn't involved
in the sort out, other than saying what could go and what to stay, so I
can't really say any more about it.

John.