Re: [LUG] DCGLUG Regular Meetings, Venue etc

Tom Brough wrote:

> Personally I would like to see a mix of the old style meetings and a
> more formal agenda. Traditonally we have waited for members to come to
> us, but I do feel that the time has come to be more proactive,
> especially as we seem to have more members to share the work around.
> So I think we should plan to do one "big event" a year if possible
> that is intended to show the friendly face of  "community" software to
> the D&C general public.

I guess what we (i.e. Paul, Tom and myself) have been discussing
off-list regarding a promotional day would be a similar sort of thing.
If the group could get some coverage in the local press maybe that might
spark some interest from the general public?

> Having talked to two members of the "general public" recently I have
> had to check myself from decending into habitual "geek speek", both
> had similar requirements (web browsing and office suites) in mind,
> both seasoned windows users. As a first step Im introducing them to
> TheOpenCD.

I know a few people who fall into that category.  My dad for one is now
using Firefox & Thunderbird on both his XP desktop and XP laptop PCs.
He's also interested in giving OpenOffice a try as a replacement to MS
Office.

I also tried explaining FLOSS to my girlfriend last night.  She doesn't
like the idea of moving over to Linux, but at least she's happy using
Firefox & OpenOffice.  I explained the advantages (how I understand it
anyway) of the OpenDocument format.

Rob