[LUG] default keymap

Hi

With help from flash (neil Stone) I have fixed the auto connecting to the internet, I am now trying to fix the default keymap, at the moment I have to

goto a console
su to root
type loadkeys Uk
exit root, and the console window
do ctrl-alt-backspace to restart x
log back in this then means that when i type shift 3 I actually get £ which is what I am supposed to get

I am trying to set Uk to default I have looked at the man page, which seems to direct me to /usr/share/keymaps/ and a file called defkeymap.kmap, however in /usr/share/keymaps I get a few subdirectories, amiga, sun, i386, as I have a duron 1600, I go for the i386 option as that maches my processor architecture, etc, I then goto qwerty, and in there get lots of gz files,
from here I am stuck

can anyone help please, thanks

paul

--