[LUG] X.org and KDE/Gnome

Can anyone suggest some good webpages/books etc on
troubleshooting xservers and GUIs.

For various reasons in the past year I've had periods of up to
3 months between system updates on my Debian system.
After an update I've often lost the GUI and been dropped
into terminal mode. I'd like to learn how to sort it myself from
the command line rather than downloading the lastest distro
and reinstalling. Like most of us I haven't the time to get too
technically involved and merely need some easily understood
procedures.

Thanks in advance.

Keith