Re: [LUG] ubuntu and root

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:03:38PM +0000, David Johnson wrote:
> Ubuntu is somewhat different to Debian. There is a root account, but it's
> effectively disabled - you can only get root privileges with sudo, using the
> password of your user account.

This was one of the things that confused me about OS X too!

There's a root user and group, but superuser privelidges are, as far as
I can see, granted exclusively by sudo. Trying to use su to become
anything than another *user* is abortive.

Makes sense really, the name you choose for install is placed in the
sudoers file and they may then grant sudo access to other users.