Re: [LUG] new IE7 feature - sounds familar

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 17:13 +0000, Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 17/01/06, Benjamin A'Lee <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 16:23 +0000, paul sutton wrote:
> > Ok this is MS related, feature seems same as that in thunderbird,  only
> > thats been in that for ages.
> >
> >     http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/124387
>
> IE7/WinVista seem very short on original features in general - one that
> comes to mind is their new installation system that *doesn't* spread
> packages across your harddrive when you install them (much like other
> operating systems have had since at least the eighties, then?).  And I'd
> be quite impressed by its shiny appearance if I'd never seen MacOS X.
>
> Would you?? Really? Good grief. Have you actually seen a screenshot of
> Aero Glass? It's hideous!

It's hideous, true.  I certainly wouldn't use it; I don't even use KDE
because it's too shiny.  But it's impressively shiny as well.  Shiny is
good, because it make people think "Oh, that new Windows Vista is
oh-so-shiny and Windows XP isn't.  Windows Vista must be better.  Let us
go and buy it!".  And then they find out that they need to buy a new
computer because their 5-year-old PC can't handle the shiny new special
effects of Microsoft Excel.  And so on.

    Ben

--
Termisoc Tech Officer: <http://termisoc.org/>