Re: [LUG] unable to enter file :/mnt/cdrom

On Saturday 07 Jan 2006 7:03 am, Neil Stone wrote:

> Jon Davey wrote:
> > HI, when I try to see what's on a cd I get:-"unable to enter file
> > :/mnt/cdrom. You do not have access rights". I have looked at the
> > properties and changed around the permissions but nothing changed. I have
> > got two cd readers, one SCSI and the other IDE, I am unable to acess
> > either. Once again I'm hopeing someone here can help me with another of
> > my silly "newbie" (in inverted commasas I've been subscribed to this list
> > for ages now) problems. cheers,
> > JOn DAvey.
>
> Well what are the permissions on /mnt/cdrom ?
> which device are you trying to mount /dev/cdrom ? /dev/hd? /dev/scd?
> and what are the permissions on that device ?
>
> You may need to be a member of a group called somthing like cdrom, as I
> have found out once or twice...
>
> HTH
>
> Neil (who is installing 100+ CAT5E points this weekend...)

HI, Niel. Thanks for your reply. All of the permission boxes are cheked, so I
uncheked all of the "user" boxes just to see if anything happened...nothing
changed. I would like to mount both /dev/cdrom and /dev/scd ideally.
        I am able to post to a forum connected to some cd burning
software.....prehaps someone there might have the answer, I'll try there.
cheers,
Jon DAvey.