[LUG] Kernel parameter help

I have quite successfully goten myself in a predicament;

I have a Debian box in the office running ntop and proftpd...
It has no CD drive

I updated the kernel t'other day and like a good admin, rebooted it...

only problem is that now when i try to boot it, even in recovery mode, i
ket the kernel whinging about /etc/modules.conf being broken.. and it goes
around in a circle all day...

Anyone know of a kernel parameter that I can use to bypass this and allow
me access to the fs to fix it ?

TIA

Neil