Re: [LUG] Waiting for keyboard input in a shell script

Rob Beard wrote:

> If it was on a normal Linux desktop, I would have probably bodged
> something together in Gambas (as my C knowlegdge extends to something
> like writing 'Hello World' on the screen :-D)

gdialog --msgbox "Click OK when you have Inserted a blank DVD"

;)

if [ $? -eq 0 ].... # they might close the Window instead of clicking OK
- GUIs have different errors to think about.

But Zenity and friends aren't portable (well aren't as universally
available as a Posix Shell, I'm sure Debian GNU/Linux with GNOME will
run on pretty much all the hardware being used to read this message with
enough effort).

I'm not aware of a small portable set of regular dialogs for simple
cross platform scripting covering Windows/MacOS/X/consoles/GNOME/KDE,
although it would seem kind of handy.

Which is where Neils comments about libraries comes in, to get any of
this GUI functionality depends on a hell of a lot of environment (am I
in a shell, do I have a console, am I in X, am I in Gnome, am I in KDE,
am I in Win32, what do I do if none of these are true, what do I do if
several appear to be true....).