[LUG] DVD burn error: Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0

Hi folks

In order to get by error you will need the following:
I'm running SME 6.0.1 distro which is an adaptation of Red Hat and using...
cd-utils-0.3.2-1.noarch.rpm
e-smith-cd-utils-0.2.1-1.noarch.rpm

Successfully installed today and...
My /mnt/cdrom points to /dev/scd0
I can mount and read CDs OK on the drive
I can see the source files for the burn in the source directory

DVD burn fails with the following message:
"A CD data-dvd burn has completed, But generated errors. It began at Mon
Nov 14 12:31:22 2005 and finished at Mon Nov 14 12:31:22
2005."

There is nothing helpful in /var/logs/messages but in /tmp I find a clue:

cdbackup.err
------------
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Input/output error. read toc: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  43 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Cannot read TOC header
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Cannot read TOC/PMA

I say a clue, but I'm sorry to confess that means nothing to me: can
anyone suggest a next step, please?

Thanks

Dr. David Regis, Research Manager, Schools Health Education Unit
www.sheu.org.uk admin@xxxxxxxxxxx  (01392) 66 72 72
If I don't reply to an e-mail, please ring: it may have fallen into a spamtrap