Re: [LUG] VPNs

Philip Radford wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone know any good resources or can advise me in the setup of VPNs under
linux. I am currently reading into the theory behind VPNs but resources on actual
implementation using standard Linux tools seems limited.

My current thoughts are that VPNs just a combination of existing available technologies such as Firewalls, IPsec and private/pubilc key encryption.

What do you want to achieve? Provide remote access to a company network, link two offices together etc..

VPN IS just a combination of avaiable technologies and there are lots of ways to achieve results with various pros and cons. I find raw ipsec with x509 certs pretty straight forward and it is believed to be pretty secure and seems to work well between windows and Linux etc.

Robin