Re: [LUG] Broadband

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 08:22:54AM +1000, Kai Hendry wrote:
> Since my parent's exchange has been enabled, I thought they should get
> broadband.
>
> Though with Demon and with most ISPs, the free modem seems to be USB.
> I'm not going there. Is it wiser to buy your own modem/router to have
> DHCP piece of mind? Or does an ISP give a decent modem away...

The USB works but the problems with me were
-   Inconvenient location of the USB port on the machine
-   You can't network locally
-   Get a switch and at least it will operate as a simple hardware
    firewall

> After checking the number, it seems 1mb down and 256up is the best one
> can get. Disappointing. Or is this incorrect?

Depends on your local connection. BT are promising 2MB any day now with
an upgrade to 8mb when the tests are complete