Re: [LUG] Mandrakelinux

Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:

Hi

Ever had a day when nothing works! Get to the downloads now (thanks) and get "the following packages had bad signatures (just about all (apart from the updates) as far as I can see). missing signature, coudnt open file, do you want to continue"...YES

"There was a problem during installation, retrieve failed, curl failed, and so on.."

Not impressed at all.

This should be fun!

Peter

I was impressed with the installation of Mandriva 2005LE, well I was until I changed the resolution. X wouldn't start, no error messages, just the console login prompt.

Okay, I was running it under VMWare (giving it a test before installing it on the girlfriend's PC), but I wouldn't expect it to stuff up like that.

I can't say I've ever been a big fan of Mandrake, early versions (6.0 I think) didn't allow me to login, for some strange reason I couldn't login as root, or as a standard user (had to boot in single user mode and reset root's password!), and later versions seemed buggy and would crash very oftern on fairly standard hardware.

Out of all the distros I've tried, I'm a fan of Suse which I was running earlier on this year until my hard drive went pop, and Fedora (although I'm not overly impressed with the latest version), oh, and Debian is growing on me in a big way, I just think apt is great, being able to find just about anything I could ever need and having it download and install it easily for me without having to mess about with installing any RPM's and sorting out dependencies.

Rob