[LUG] Installing a web server

Hi,
Right I have had the problem with FC3 not working with mambo. So I thought everyone keeps saying use debian so I shoved the DVD into the drive and did the install with the server and my sql packages ticked. I booted up and went straight to /var/www/html only to find it didn't exist. I found the httpd.conf file and vimed it only to find It didn't contain what I expected just a single line. I then tryed the apache2.conf file this had a lot of stuff but none of it telling me where to put my html files. After hearing how easy debian was supposed to be this was very disheartening. I then thought possibly FC4 would do the job but the installer kept jamming just as it was formatting the root partition. In short which distribution should I use to host Mambo this is all I want, No flashy things just an easy to use distro that will take PHP, apache and mysql and will configure correctly with Mambo.
Thanks
--
Tom (the younger)