Re: [LUG] Open Source?

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 18:54, Neil Williams wrote:
> Just googling for SourceSafe produced dozens of links to sites that claimed
> replace SourceSafe and go into detail about how horrible it is.
>
> Why are so many people interested in converting FROM SourceSafe? Could it be
> that it's not worth using? Why did you choose that one?

Oh isn't sourcesafe that *horible thing* built in to MS visual C and visual
basic. At work i do a lot of MS C++ and we are using CVS all the way combined
with VC7 etc.  A nice debian server providing cvs services, wincvs for CVS
client access and my productivity as more than doubled.

CVS to me, seemed complicated, at first and I didn't really understand it, but
now I am totaly converted. It was setting up my own cvs server and really
using it in production that taught me how to use it properly and it has saved
by bacon more than once as VC eats various source and project files during a
crash.

There is no actual need to use a public cvs server for a very small project.
Maybe just release tar balls. BUT use a (local) cvs (or other version control
as takes your fancy) as it is worth it. As soon as the project expands a
public cvs server is needed and source forge as mentioned is the place.

--
Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx